Sunday, June 04, 2006

Intellectual Curiosity

So I don't know what turns techno teens on - I doubt any of them (being all A.D.& D. and on Ritalin) could sit still long enough to read the encyclopedia. I know when I was young I had lots of friends who spent half their free time looking obscure things up and knowing stuff no 12 year old in their right mind would know.

I for one, did my 8th grade science presentation on lobotomies because I had read my brother's college psychology text book and found it fascinating. But I digress from the real motivation for this blog.

I got suckered in by the DNA hype i was reading about on CNN, and in the Newspapers - and about the National Geographic Genographic project. I needed to be the first person on my block to DNA swab so I could tell my family where we went Out of Africa - what route we took - and who were in our Haplogroup.

I was driven. I did it - I got the kit - was assigned a number - did the swab thing and checked on the Internet Daily for my Results. I read the FAQ's and was delighted I hadn't been sent back from DNA analysis all the way back to batch control. I was patient and conscientious about the project. Friday I got my results.

MY DNA never got out of Africa. I this red-haired pale freckled white woman had the DNA of African Americans - My starting point was the Bantu's in East Africa. I do not know if it is fashionable to be a member of the L2 Haplogroup and the fact that we never got out of Africa doesn't surprise me as I move very slowly.

They are so vague and the universality of being an L2 haplogroup leads me to believe midgets in Cambodia have my DNA so there you go another Diana Ross wannabe hiding in a Nitzberg body.

So when I found this out on Friday just before I left work my first thought was (since this group is indicative of African Americans) that I should start walking up to Black Women - call them sisters and tell them I was a Bantu and hope they didn't call 911 and try to have me committed. But instead I turned to one of the white women on my team and said I am just gonna get my black ass out of here - have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Sara J said...

I still think it is really cool. Sure, they only know the first stages of your ancestory, but someday they might know lots more. I think it's great and I am glad you did it.