Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Abusive Doctors

Doctors like Priests and Lawyers are given not only our sacred trust but the most intimate secrets of our being; our personal medical mysteries and secrets. While the discovery channel has us look in high esteem at these self effacing, brilliant, charitable Doctors who defy all odds to make medical miracles happen the reality check of real life is that many are found wanting, and are the antithesis of what Physicians should be.

Have you ever been afraid of your doctor or felt side-swiped by their lack of compassion and understanding? Today I ventured hopefully through the doors of my *new gynecologist's office for the first time; I will not pass that way again. While I arrived early it was not early enough. She sat down next to me 40 mins past my scheduled time and told me because I had not come the full 15 mins early she required, she had let the next patient (scheduled a half hour after me) see her first.

I am 60 years old. I do not need to be punished by my doctor for breaking her 15 min rule.

She proceeded to take my medical history. I have had a Hysterectomy (no ovaries- no estrogen); I was on Hormone Replacement Therapy until Breast Cancer made me ineligible for continuing with it.

I mention that only because, with her less than delicate examination, when she drew blood, it was my fault for being estrogenless.

She was haughty and cold and truly eligible for that 4 letter word nice people don't use when talking about women. She made me ponder my relationship with Female Doctors of which I have now had five. I can truly say though I have been a feminist since the '70's, I have only had one female doctor I would not only recommend, but praise.

The others have been cold, lacking that humane loving bedside manner and unable to communicate any feeling of compassion. In their desire to be as efficient and as tough as their male counterparts they seem to have lost the tenderness and nurturing that should be part of their makeup.

They certainly don't seem to see a difference between a healthy person needing a firm hand and a person who goes in and out the revolving door of doctor's offices because of a myriad of issues, who needs a gentle touch.

I do; and I shall NOT be choosing another female doctor.

No comments: