Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Weaving does not loom in my future!

So today we tried to turn back time - not so far back as Rapunzel and the spinning wheel but slightly more current. We went to the Yarn store for a try at Weaving.
This looks fairly simple - especially if you remember the small potholders you made in Girl Scouts or the knitting badges that required yarn and patience and feeling very Betsy Ross.

The easy part I thought would be picking out the yarn but there were a lot of choices and wool was suggested, but Spring in Tucson is like Hell in the afterlife; so wool sounded all wrong. Then we were told some was for the warp and some for the weave. There were lots of specialty words to identify weird tools and math problems to figure out if you wanted something this long and this wide multiply it by yards (in inches) and be sure to add 24 inches for wastage (especially for a shawl). Like beading, I am told this is addictive; but only if you catch on without breaking things, shredding your yarn, or collapsing the loom.

I fell behind during the preparatory part where you were just getting the warp started. The teacher was patient and kind but I required my own personal aide to get through the initial stage. I couldn't get my yarn through the small hole with this tool (and I wasn't even sure I was choosing the correct strand). The teacher kept saying "this isn't right, but it probably won't matter in the end."

So I did work for a little while on the loom, which was fairly small but then got terribly hungry - so I left. I know it will be waiting there, and I will go back, after all I paid for the yarn. I'm sure I can't be the only one that sees this as a new form of self-abuse (where you get to fail in the company of others - doing something that requires little or no intelligence) all the while feeling like a clumsy oaf. To make matters worse I think I forgot to use my discount card.

3 comments:

Sara J said...

"...like Hell in the afterlife..." and "...this isn't right..." LMAO. Sounds like something I will avoid.

Unknown said...

At least you are out there attempting to improve your dexterity skills!

Unknown said...

as I told my niece Miri - it is my never ending desire to be a shiksa that sends me on these excursions into crafts